Oriental rugs are the perfect addition to the bedroom. Not only will the area rug also add more color and texture to your bedroom, it also helps to insulate the room, and comfortably cushion your feet when you get out of bed. The key here is to make sure that you choose the right size rug that is neither too large nor too small.
General Bedroom Rug Sizing Rules
These general bedroom rug sizing rules will help you determine the right size for your room:
- There should be a minimum of five inches space between the edge of the rug and walls. If you have a large bedroom, keep a space of about eight inches between the rug edge and the wall. Avoid getting a rug that is so large that it touches the wall as it may look overwhelming in the bedroom.
- Choose a size that either allows you to place the dresser on the rug or leaves a space of about three inches between the rug edge and the dresser. Don’t let the edge of the rug touch the dresser.
- If you have a compact bedroom, you could choose a rug that covers almost the entire floor space, but still leaving at least two inches space between the walls and the rug edge
Guidelines For A Queen Or King Size Bed
You will need a different size rug for a king size bed and a different size for a queen size bed.
The recommended rug size for a king size bed is 7 feet x 10 feet. This size allows you to step on the rug when you get out of the bed. If you have a large California king size bed, go in for an area rug that is about 9 feet x 12 feet in dimensions.
For a king size bed, choose a 9 foot x 12 foot rug if you want to ensure your nightstand can comfortably stand on the rug.
Guidelines For A Twin Or Full-Size Bed
For a twin bed, a 5 foot x 8 foot rug is an ideal size for a small bedroom. However, if your bedroom is really compact and your bed is pushed against the wall, opt for a bedroom rug that is 4 feet x 6 feet and position it next to the bed so that you can step onto it as soon as you get off your bed.
For a bigger bedroom with a twin bed, a 7 foot x 10 foot rug will be perfect. You can place it vertically or horizontally for maximum impact while keeping in mind the size and shape of the floor space.
If you have a full size bed, the rug size will depend on the placement of the bed in the room. A small rug placed right next to the bed is best if the bed is positioned against the wall. You will need a 6 foot x 9 foot rug if you want to position the rug under the bed and an 8 foot x 10 foot rug if you want the rug under the nightstand too.
How To Keep Your Bedroom Rug In Place
While rugs look great and add character and style to the bedroom, they can slide, posing a slipping or tripping hazard.
These three tips will help keep your bedroom rug in its place:
- Place a non-stick rubber mat under the rug. The mat should be marginally smaller than the rug
- To prevent the rug from bunching up, ensure that one end of the rug has some furniture on top of it.
- You can also a two-sided tape on the underside of the rug to prevent it from shifting and bunching up.